What is Roll Forming and the Roll Forming Process?
Roll forming is a flexible, responsive and cost-effective alternative to extruded press braking and stamping.
Well-suited for customized or standard shape production, roll forming is a simple process ideal for even the most complex shapes.
Roll Forming is an efficient, effective shaping that delivers tight tolerances on complex profiles.
Roll forming is a reliable, proven approach to metal shaping that is ideal for modern applications. This process uses a continuous bending operation where long metal strips, typically coiled steel, are passed through consecutive sets of rolls at room temperature. Each set of rolls performs incremental parts of the bend to produce the desired cross-section profile. Unlike other metal shaping methods, the roll forming process is inherently flexible. Secondary processes can also be integrated into a single production line. Roll forming increases efficiency while reducing operational and capital costs by eliminating unnecessary handling and equipment.
Typical roll forming mills can accommodate material gauges ranging from .010" up to 0. 250" thick. The bend radius is largely determined by the ductility of the metal. However, 180-degree bends are commonly achieved with the right material. Roll forming easily accommodates the integration of secondary operations such as welding, punching and precision laser cutting to optimize production efficiency.
Metal roll forming advantages
- High-volume capacity
- Ultra-precise processing to very tight tolerances with excellent part uniformity and superior surface finishes
- More flexible and responsive than press braking or extrusion
- Accommodates metals with variable surface coatings, flexibilities and dimensions
- Processes higher-strength steels without breaking or tearing
- Creates stronger and lighter structural components using less steel
Roll Forming: It's in our Name.
Roll Forming Company with Extensive In-House Capabilities
Roll Forming Corporation is a metal roll forming company with more than 70 years experience with locations in Kentucky, Indiana and Pennsylvania. RFC is part of the Tubes and Sections business segment in the Metal Forming Division of the global steel and technology group voestalpine AG.
- 30 in-house roll forming lines
- Supported by an extensive in-depth engineering department
- Custom in-house tooling resources
- Material thickness handling from .010" to .375" (.254mm to.635mm) and strip widths from .500" to 20"
- Available in-line processes include TOX™, Tog-L-Lok™, rotary stitch, pre-punch, post-punch, mid-punch, variable thickness, remetallizing thermal spray for weld seam protection, clinch nuts, cutting and sweeping.
- In-line welding capabilities include laser, high-frequency induction, and low-frequency contact, induction and lines ranging from 11 to 42 passes
- Secondary operations including welding, cutting, bending, tube fabrication and powder coating
Metal Forming Steel and Metal Materials
- Cold-rolled steel
- Hot-rolled, pickled, and oiled
- Pre-painted steel
- Galvanized steel
- Titanium alloys
- Stainless steel
- High-Strength Low Alloy (HSLA)
- Martensitic grades
- Dual phase
- Ultra High Strength Steel
- TRIP Steel
Roll Formed Steel Components: Formed, Welded, Cut, Bent and Powder Coated
- C Purlin
- Z Purlin
- Custom Purlins
- Z Sections
- Z - 2 Bends
- Z - 4 Bends
- Rectangle Tubes
- Square Tubes
- Round Tubes
- Peanut Tubes
- Lock Seam Tubes
- Custom Tubes
- Octagon Tubes
- Torque Tubes
- Hexagon Tubes
- Steel Channels
- C Channels
- U Channels
- J Channels
- I Beams
- Omega Rails
- Hat Channels
- 6 Bend Hat
- Sigma Channels
- Custom Channels
- Custom Profiles
- Custom Shapes
And more! Customization is our specialty.
We do more than Roll Forming.
We have in-line, secondary and adjacent value added solutions and technologies that are complimentary to the roll forming process.
- Mandrel, roll, and stretch bending
- Tube fabrication
- CNC tube bending
- Tube laser cutting and piercing
- 5-axis laser cutting
- Miter cutting
- Off-line piercing
- CNC cut-to-length
- Joggle (hot and cold)
- Laser Welding
- Robotic Welding
- In-Line Welding
- Assembly and kitting
- Variable gauge forming–taper and roll reduce
- Solution heat treatment
- Artificial aging
- Powder-coating and E-coating services
- Post-dip galvanizing services
- Tailored Profiles
- Laser Cut Bend Relief